With launch of their new Fortuner in India for a very attractive price of Rs. 25.92 lakhs (Ex-showroom, Delhi); Toyota has gained an even firmer grip on the segment. The SUV has not just become better looking but also gets a premium interior and more features.
For everyone not looking at the top 4WD, AT models, here’s an exterior and interior review of base 2WD manual trim. We will take you through what’s been omitted, though there aren’t a lot.
The base, Fortuner 2WD MT model is priced at Rs. 25.92 lakhs and Rs. 27.52 lakhs (Ex-showroom, Delhi) for petrol and diesel variant respectively.
You can read more about its specifications here- 2017 Fortuner
2017 Toyota Fortuner 2WD MT exterior
Unlike lower segment cars, the new Toyota Fortuner sees no change in exterior throughout its range. It looks absolutely fantastic, and has an even more intimidating aura than its previous generation.
The car’s front fascia is now sleeker and more aggressive; having prominent chrome grille with chrome surrounds, redesigned bumper and new headlamps. Its circular foglights are now placed in their own compartment, surrounded by chrome.
On the sides, newly designed 17 inch alloy wheels are provided (18” on 4WD variants). Other changes like the stepped up 3rd row windows, chrome window beltline and satin finish roof rails can also be seen.
The new Fortuner’s rear is more aggressive as well, with features like smaller, wraparound type rear window, automatic bootlid, LED taillights and large chrome garnish above the number plate area.
Overall, we feel that the 2017 Fortuner has improved in its design. The SUV is not just beefy like its previous generation but also has an elegance that is usually required from cars in the premium range.
Exterior feature list
- Bi-Beam LED Projector Headlamps
- Dusk Sensing Headlamps with Auto light Levelling.
- LED DRLs
- Follow-me-home Headlamps
- Front Fog Lamps with Chrome Surround
- SMART Entry and Push Start/Stop
- Puddle Lamps under ORVM for illuminated entry
- Electrically Adjustable ORVM with integrated Turn Indicators
- Aero-Stabilizing Fins on ORVM Base and Rear Combination Lamps
- New Design Alloys
- Chrome Plated Door Handles and Window Beltline
- LED Rear Combination Lamps
- Fully Automatic Power Back Door with Height Adjust Memory and Jam Protection
- Chrome Back Door Garnish
- Shark Fin Antenna
- Satin Finish Roof Rails
- Blacked-out Side Pillars
- Wrap-around Rear Window
2017 Toyota Fortuner 2WD MT Interior, Safety features.
Interior of the new Toyota Fortuner has improved leaps and bound. It has become more premium and overall material quality is high as well.
At the front row, the driver seat is 8 way adjustable and as with the outgoing car, provides a ‘king size’ view of the road. The seats are dark brown in colour and instilla a very premium feel. This is also true for the silver accents and double stitched leather on the centre console. Beautiful positioning of the AC controls are worth mentioning as well.
The car’s steering is premium and great to hold, and doesn’t hinder the large MID display in any way. Its 7.0-inch touch-screen display with USB, AUX, DVD, MP3 and Bluetooth connectivity is also easily visible, and come with Navigation and rear camera function. It however lacks features like Apple CarPlay. Android Auto and Auto Park assist.
Second row seating provides ample leg and headroom but lacks the good thigh support that the front row seats provide. Rear AC vents are provided at the top, providing good cooling. As expected, last row seats are better suited for children and space is worse than that of the Innova Crysta.
Good amount of storage space can be seen inside, including dual glove box- one of which is a cooled compartment, bottle holders in each row and cup holders near the center console. Further, front and rear armrest, hooks for bags and power sockets on all three rows are made also available. Engaging the roof mounted seatbelts took a bit time.
The 2017 Toyota Fortuner has good boot space at the back and it 2nd and 3rd row seats are 60:40 and 50:50 foldable respectively.
- Illuminated Entry System – Door Courtesy Lamps & LED Cabin Lights
- Dark Brown Leather* Seats
- Sporty Front Seats with enhanced Side-bolsters
- 8-way Driver Power Seat
- All New Cabin wrapped in Soft Upholstery, Metallic Accents and Woodgrain-patterned Ornamentation
- New Steering Wheel with Thumb Rests
- Audio, MID, Tel, Voice Recognition Switches on Steering Wheel
- Tilt & Telescopic Steering Column
- Driving Modes: ECO/PWR Mode
- Large TFT Multi-Information Display
- Soft Padded, Stitched Meter Hood and Upper Glove Box
- Wood-grain Pattern on Steering Wheel and Gear Shift Console
- Navigation Turn Display on MID
- New Optitron Cool-Blue Combimeter with Chrome Accents and Illumination Control
- Sunvisor with Vanity Lamps
- Automatic Climate Control [Dual A/C]
Safety & Security features
Though a number of new features have been added in the 2017 model, including keyless entry, push button start/stop and auto headlamps, the new Fortuner still feels lacking when compared to its biggest rival- Ford Endeavour. This is evident from the lack of dual-zone climate control, sunroof and electrically folding third row, among others. In addition, the base trim of the Fortuner loses out on even more features like Cruise control, VSC [Vehicle Stability Control] with BA [Brake Assist], HAC [Hill Assist Control], DAC [Downhill Assist Control]
Here are some features,
- 7 SRS Airbags
- Front Seats: WIL Concept Seats [Whiplash Injury Lessening]
- Child Restraint System: ISOFIX + Tether Anchor on 2nd Row
- All Row 3-point ELR Seat Belts
- Front Row: Pretensioner + Force Limiter
- Immobilizer + Horn
- ABS with EBD
- Speed Auto Lock with Emergency Unlock
- Impact Absorbing Structure with Pedestrian Protection Support
- Airbag Manual Cut-off Switch
Overall, the 2017 Toyota Fortuner 2WD is a bit lacking in features but we will provide it top marks for cabin quality and space.